To celebrate the second S&T Day of Vietnam – 18/5/2015, with the approval of Ministry of Science and Technology and Vietnam National University, Hanoi, National Agency for Technology Entrepreneurship and Commercialization Development (NATEC) and University of Engineering and Technology (UET) have organized TECHFEST VIETNAM 2015.
The event lasted for 3 days from May 15th to 17th 2015 at 144 – Xuan Thuy – Cau Giay – Hanoi.
- To create an ultimate platform for all innovation stakeholders to network and benefit from various forms of activities such as: Technology showcase, business matching sessions, workshops and seminars as well as startup contests.
- To make TECHFEST a well-known annual event among participants of the startup ecosystem over the coming years.
FIRST; IPP; Israeli Embassy; Hub.IT; HATCH! Program; Vietnam Digital Communication Association; Topica Founder Institute
VINACERT; DOJI; PAYMENTWALL; FPT; APPOTA; Muru-D; VietED; TH-Truemilk
Uber; TicketBox; Bigtime
1. Opening Ceremony
The opening event was initiated with speeches given by leaders of MOST and VNU, followed by sharing of Mr. Oren Simanian, CEO of Startau (Tel Aviv University Incubator) on Israeli experience in building innovation system. Afterwards, Mr. Truong Gia Binh – FPT’s chairman, presented about Technology trend and innovation enterprises in Vietnam as a closing to the ceremony.
Startups with complete products coming from Vietnam and other countries in the region such as Thailand or Singapore were gathered and given a chance to demonstrate their products/services directly to customers and investors.
The vast majority of these startups are doing business in the field of software and hardware development or digital marketing. Besides, some of them have already launched their products/services and are absolutely “investment-ready”.
3. Workshops and Seminars
As an event intended for all innovation stakeholders, TECHFEST consisted of 22 workshops, panels and fireside events, covering a variety of essential issues of startups and innovative ecosystem, specifically: “Government-backed support for innovation”; “How to incubate startups and what are the strategies?”; “Startup & Exit”; “How to transform Science and Technology into a good business”, etc.
Global Shapers – “Diasporas Founders”:
- FIRST Deputy Director – Mr. Luong Van Thang introduced about FIRST and the Project support for startups and diasporas talents.
- Tran Quang Hung – representative of Global Shaper – Hanoi introduced about Global Shaper.
- 3 startup co-founders shared their experience of coming back from abroad education/work and found their own entrepreneurship opportunities in Vietnam.
4. Business matching activities
Business matching activity was conducted in two sessions. In the first one, each startup was given 60 seconds to impress the board of 50 investors. The investors were then responsible for two tasks:
- To judge and grade the startups to provide the ground for selecting the 10 most outstanding ones for Startup Discovery Contest.
- To give a “pink slip” to those they wanted to meet later in the second session for further investment discussion.
5. Startup Discovery
The event started with Mr. Nam Do, CEO of SeeSpace from Silicon Valley delivering a speech on his own startup experience and inspire the startups in the audience to overcome any obstacles to realizing their entrepreneurial dreams.
Ten outstanding startups chosen by the board of investors in the previous day were given a chance to deliver a 5-minute pitch in either English or Vietnamese, followed by a 3-minute Q&A session with the audience. For the first time in an official startup competition, there would be no judging panels and no absolute winners. Instead, anyone in the audience can be a judge and raise questions; the sponsors of prizes would then choose the most suitable candidates for their offers.
Participants and Outcomes
- TECHFEST attracted around 1000 visitors in 3 days including leaders of Ministry of Science and Technology, (MOST), Ministry of Planning and Investment, Board of directors of Vietnam National University, Hanoi. (VNU), international embassy representatives, Technology Corporations, universities and institutions, startups, startup supporting agencies, students and technology fans.
- The organization of the event was greatly supported by brand names like VinaCert, DOJI, FPT or the FIRST Project and mature startups like Appota and Paymentwall.
- A total of 50 investors coming from Vietnam and overseas also attended TECHFEST to seek for investment opportunities. These include representatives of prestigious ventures capitals such as CyberAgents Ventures (Japan), IDG Ventures (US), Golden Gates Ventures, Expara IDM Ventures (Singapore).
- 50 startup booths took part in Exhibition and Business matching activities, from which many investment deals with an estimated total volume of no less than $1mil have been scheduled.
- 10 outstanding startups were chosen to compete in Startup Discovery Contest: VP9 TV; Antoree; Hotel Link Solution; Echoes; Beeketing; Timtro.vn; Ludino; RNG; Money Lover; Babyme. The prizes provided by co-organizing partners, which are: SLUSH-IPP (Finland); e27 (Singapore) and HATCH!PROGRAM (Vietnam) were awarded as follows:
- 02 Tickets to attend Slush in Finland: TV and RNG
- 02 Tickets to attend Echelon in Singapore: Beeketing and MoneyLover
- 02 Tickets to exhibit at HATCH!FAIR 2015 on 10.31.2015: VP9 and Echoes
- 03 Tickets to exhibit at HATCH ! FAIR 2015, automatic qualification to HATCH!BATTLE with a chance to win a free trip to attend Seedstars World in Geneva, Switzerland: Hotel Link Solution; Beeketing; MoneyLover.